COVID-19 Travel Update
New International Travel Restrictions
Effective February 22nd, 2021
On January 29th, 2021 Canada’s Prime Minister Justin Trudeau announced new travel restrictions in an effort to reduce the spread of COVID-19 in Canada, particularly new variants of COVID-19.
Here is a summary of the new travel restrictions, which have been in effect since January 29th, 2021 and will affect everyone arriving in Canada, including citizens, landed immigrants and international students and their families:
- International flights will only be able to land in Vancouver, Calgary, Toronto, and Montreal.
- Mandatory COVID testing at the airport upon arrival in Canada
- Travelers will have to stay in a government-approved hotel for up to three days, at their own expense (estimated at $2,000) while they wait for their test results
- Those who test negative for COVID-19 can complete their mandatory 14-day quarantine period at home (a private residence), under increased monitoring
- Those who test positive for COVID-19 will have to complete their mandatory 14-day quarantine period at a government-approved facility
- Non-essential travelers arriving in Canada at a land crossing will have to produce a negative COVID-19 test.
In addition, air travel to Caribbean and Mexican destinations have been suspended until April 30th, effective January 31st.
The immediate impact is that international students and their travelling companions will not be able to travel to a private residence to begin their 14-day mandatory quarantine. They will have to spend at least the first three days in a government-approved hotel.
More information about the new travel measures:
All travelers must now book their 3-day hotel stay via the link below and submit all necessary components directly through the Canadian government website. Please note: The college can no longer book hotel stays for our students during this time, all travelers will be required to book the hotel on their own using the link below:
All international travelers will still need to follow the guidelines and travel restrictions mentioned on the webpage below before entering Canada:
We will continue to provide all necessary updates regarding travel and follow this new development until the travel restrictions have been lifted.
For more information, please email settlementservicesONT@hansoncollege.com