COVID-19 travel updates for international students
Effective as of October 2021
Stay updated on the latest COVID-19 announcements:
Please use ArriveCAN to provide mandatory travel information before and after your entry to Canada: https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/coronavirus-disease-covid-19/arrivecan.html
Fully vaccinated foreign individuals who meet the requirements of a fully vaccinated traveler can come to Canada. Below are the accepted COVID-19 vaccines in Canada:
- Pfizer-BioNTech Comirnaty
- Moderna Spikevax
- AstraZeneca Vaxzevria/COVISHIELD
- Janssen/Johnson & Johnson
Your proof of vaccination (2 doses) must be uploaded digitally on ArriveCAN prior to entering Canada. Rapid antigen tests will not be accepted.
If you qualify for the fully vaccinated traveler exemption – you are exempt from:
- Day-8 Testing Requirement
You must take a molecular test within 72 hours of the scheduled departure time of your flight to Canada. Airlines will refuse boarding to travelers without valid molecular test results.
If you have a connecting flight:
- The test must be conducted within 72 hours of the scheduled departure time of your last direct flight to Canada
- You may need to schedule the test in your transit city
You must present an accepted test result (paper or electronic proof) at the border which includes:
- Traveler’s Name and DOB
- Name and Address of the facility that administered the test
- Date when the test was conducted
- Type of test conducted
- Test Result
Keep proof of your test result with you for the 14-day period starting when you enter Canada.
You must be prepared to quarantine for 14 days (even if you are fully vaccinated) in case you:
- Are symptomatic (have symptoms of COVID-19)
- Do not meet the requirements for the fully vaccinated traveler exemption
A suitable quarantine plan (which includes a place you will quarantine) must be entered into ArriveCAN in case you do not qualify for the exemption. You may be asked to explain your quarantine plan at the border.
Have the following items with you for assessment by a government official at the border:
- ArriveCAN Receipt
- Proof of Vaccination (2 doses)
- Pre-Entry Test Results
Monitor for symptoms of COVID-19 for at least 14 days after your arrival. If you start having COVID-19 symptoms – you must immediately:
- Contact local public health authorities and follow their instructions (including isolation)
- Report symptoms to PHAC by calling 1-833-641-0343
Travel Advice and Advisories:
Destination-specific travel information with important advice to help you make informed decisions. This information will help you travel safely while you are abroad.
Study Permit and Work Permit Guides:
Visit the link below to check your application’s processing time:
Job Search Resources:
Residence Search Resources:
If you have any questions or concerns – please reach out to our Settlement Services Team: